I have kindly been nominated for a Liebster Award. This is an award made by bloggers to other bloggers and I would like to thank Clare, blogger of somanycraftssolittletime for the nomination, which I am delighted to accept.
In answer to her questions –
1. What is your favourite craft and why?
At the moment crochet. Prior to crochet (which I learnt in Sept 13) I was a card making addict, prior to that it was cross stitch samplers. Crochet is my favourite, it is quick, colourful, challenging and I am still at the stage where every new project I am learning new things. Also I never ever thought I would get the hang of it!
2. Where is your favourite place?
The French Alps. There is a little village called Les Gets in the Savoie region where we stay for summer and winter holidays. The views are majestic, the winter skiing and summer hikes are fabulous, the smell of a log fire in a little wooden chalet is my favourite smell.
3. Who is your style icon?
Audrey Hepburn. Elegant, chic, non fussy, classy, cool.
4. What is your favourite musical?
I love Moulin Rouge. I know it’s not from the West End or anything but I think it is fabulous.
5. If you could do anything for a day, what would you do?
I love to have craft days with my good friend CC which we do about twice a year. We make endless cups of tea, chat and try to get a project completed in one day. Either that or a day in the mountains walk with husband and dogs and a flask of tea.
6. Who is your favourite TV chef?
Nigella Lawson. I have all her books which I use very regularly. Rachel Allen comes a very close second.
7. What would your desert island disk be?
Wonder wall by Oasis or To the Lark Ascending by Vaughn Williams. I want both of these to be played at my funeral. (Cheerful!)
8. Where was your last holiday destination?
Folgaria in northern Italy for a week of skiing in February 14.
9. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
Early bird. Good job too as I keep hens and they loooove to wake up early.
10. Pasta or pizza?
11. If you weren’t doing the job you do, what would you do instead?
I have just had a career change. Instead of being a lawyer I now teach saxophone, this was an unexpected move for me. If anything I would love to have run a small bistro or coffee shop with lots of books and bits and bobs for sale too.
11 random facts about me
I have four sons aged from 11 to 20. I love being a mum, seeing them off in the mornings and being there for them when they get home in the afternoons. Like me they are all very musical and our house can be very noisy.
As a child I was terrified of dogs. I would cross the road to avoid one. Now I own two Tibetan terriers, Buttons and Lucas, whom I adore.
I have recently taken up “running”. Using a Couch to 5k app I am shuffling the streets with shiny new trainers and a special dog lead attachment for Lucas our younger dog. I am an ample lady so this challenge has come as a surprise to everyone, especially myself. I am taking part in a 10k run very soon and we have booked a team as a family in the Color Run 5k in the summer.For me it is a big achievement.
I started blogging in 2012 when I started hen keeping. This was quickly followed by writing my husband’s blog when he cycled from Land’s End to John O’Groats in July 2012. I have a blog for my card making, and this one for my crochet projects.
As a student I travelled to West Africa and Egypt. Coming from a wealthy country where education, healthcare, food and a comfortable life is taken for granted visiting these places was an eye opening experience. A lady offered to sell me her baby for the equivalent of £1. It is a moment of my life that haunts me still.
An outstanding longing of mine is to witness the aurora borealis. In an ice hotel. With husky sledges.
In my early teens I was an avid fan of the Police. It was only in my 40’s when they briefly reunited that I got to see them perform live in London and in my hometown of Belfast. Good times!
If you invite me to dinner please include rocket, Roquefort cheese, smoked salmon and mango on the menu. With prosecco to drink.
I met my husband when I was 15. We started dating when I was 16 and we married 8 years later when I was 24. Next year we will celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. He works away from home most weeks so the mornings I love best are when I wake up beside him.
My all time favourite book is The Cider House Rules by John Irving. The movie is rubbish, don’t ever watch it.
Before I had children my feet were size 4 1/2. Which was tiny as I am 5ft 8 inches. I used to buy children’s shoes. After my first pregnancy they grew to size 6 1/2.
The Official Rules Of The Liebster Award
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
1. thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
3. answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
4. provide 11 random facts about yourself.
5. nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
6. create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
7. list these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
8. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)
So these are my Liebster Nominations –
Granny Squares of Love